Kalogria beach

General topics regarding Stoupa and its surroundings
Marco

Re: Kalogria beach

Post by Marco » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:21 pm

We are now into the middle of September and Kalogria beach is still an eyesore, covered with sun beds, 7 deep in areas. Are these beds fully occupied at this time of year, could some beach be freed up to improve the ambience?

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 pm

A solution would be for the relevant authority (police, Demos, Coastguard - or combination of these) to visit the beach, say once or twice a week, & enforce the regulations, issuing fines notices to transgressors. The sun-bed owners would fairly quickly get the message as it would eat into their income revenue.

This approach has been quite effective in dealing with vehicles parking on the beach road in Stoupa. It's been carried out very sensibly, low-key, non-officious & allowing time for the offending drivers to move their vehicles, before issung fines notices. Until the law is completely observed, it's a nice little earner too.

dclet

Post by dclet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:40 pm

I started this post early in the year hoping that the authorities and local residents would start recognising the devastation of both a Kalogria & Stoupa beaches . Sadly yesterday on Kalogria we saw rows of restricted, coffin style wooden sunbeds encroaching right up to the water line. We saw several family's struggling to find a place for their children to play on the edge of the water. We have heard of Cafe owners who want to turn Kalogria into another Mykonos so that they can maximise their easy tax style return on the backs of many people who now have to make the choice of paying for an extortionist sunbed or spending in the established Tavernas.
I repeat my point that the area has gained popularity by well intentioned ,discerning holiday makers who have been supporting the region for decades.
Could not a solution be found in a charitable organisation like GAIA bidding for the licences and forming a restricted ,free form ,humane area for sunbeds and play . All profits which we assume to be considerable would then go to help local charities. I applaud the previous posting from Jimbo.

zorbas2
camBoard admin

Post by zorbas2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm

dclet wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:40 pm
Could not a solution be found in a charitable organisation like GAIA bidding for the licences and forming a restricted ,free form ,humane area for sunbeds and play . All profits which we assume to be considerable would then go to help local charities. I applaud the previous posting from Jimbo.
I find this idea absolutely genius - really. Unfortunately I believe that the Greek law and of course the money-grubbing business owners will not allow it.
Regarding the posting of Jimbo I am afraid that the authorities just have not enough staff to enforce regulations...
Stephan Bartholomä
zorbas.de - stoupa.fr - sourmelina.com

Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am

A great idea Dclet, another idea could be that the beds are put out as required, with any operator never having more than 5 pairs of beds empty at any time. But I am afraid what we have seen this year is here to stay which as far as I am aware has led to some regulars seeking other holiday destinations. So sad.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Nice idea Marco, mathematically speaking, but could not stand a chance of being implemented without an eagle-eyed constantly present monitor in attendance to identify how many of whose beds are un-occupied at any one time & then to enforce the formula. Sounds like a "suicide job" to me. It is certainly not going to be effectively policed by the taverna owners, who have created this problem in the first place & who have no short-term interest in its resolution. It is they who stand to profit, in the short- or medium term from its continance. So, it's down to the designated authorities to enforce the law & I still believe that it could be cost-effective for those authorities as they accrue the income from the imposition of fines.

One other potential source of comfort, so far unmentioned, would be the association of Stoupa businesses (or whatever is the official title of that body); it ought to have an active interest of the business economy of the area in the longer term & its membership extends beyond the sun-bed/taverna owners & operators, & will presumably include other businesses too whose viability & profitability are affected by tourist numbers, which may reduce because of this issue, or because there will be less of tourists' holiday budget available to spend on those other businesses, eg supermarkets, tavernas, bars, car & bike hire etc.

I like dclet's idea of the intervention of a charitable body such as Gaia, but that would need the body to have substantial capital to invest in this; also their receipt of the income from the venture may be taxable and/or place their charitable status in jeopardy.

Whatever, let's keep the creative ideas coming & lets hope for some meaningful back-up from the authorities.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Further to the above, does anyone know what the licences for the sun-beds cost? I don't & have heard various sums bandied about.

Secondly, are the sun-bed owners producing official receipts of payment & therefore paying the rlevant taxes for this income? And would the tax authorities have a subsidiary role in this matter, assuming of course that they could arrive to inspect with sufficient sublety to avoid pre-warning the owners?

PS Up the Reds vs the Foxes tomorrow! YNWA

The Real Stoupaman
Dedicated member

Post by The Real Stoupaman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Another solution would be to refuse to go onto Kalogria beach, therefore not giving the business there any custom. They would soon learn! :)

Trifecta

Post by Trifecta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 pm

I noticed today that the big cricket match was to be held on Kalogria.

How did they get on with the "outfield" ?

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 pm

The Real Stoupaman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:39 pm
Another solution would be to refuse to go onto Kalogria beach, therefore not giving the business there any custom. They would soon learn! :)
That is what we did this summer, avoided Kalogria, and will continue to do so while it is run like this.

Social Media